Monday, March 17, 2014

Green Flakes

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I have not posted any designs in over a month, but that's because I was busy with midterms and spring break. Well, I could have done my nails up during my break, but my attention went from nails to leisure reading, and now it's currently on both.  I started off with something simple to ease myself into nail art.

I picked up Sinful Colors' Irish Green - have to have a bit of green on St. Patty's Day - which turned out to have a neon consistency. I cleaned off my nails and applied a coat of NYC's French White Tip: it's basically a white polish and I use it as such, but you can always use it as the name implies! For neons, the trick is to paint on a coat of white so the neon is able to really pop against the light color underneath it. Without the base coat of white, I would have layered on coats of polish to cover up my bare nail. Not only do you waste nail polish that way, but the neon isn't able to shine. It ends up looking dull and pathetic. 

I only did one coat of white; in hindsight I should have done another to even out the white. I didn't realize the poor single coat would show through as much as it does - the pictures don't show it unless you analyze closely. After the one coat of white, I painted three coats of the neon Irish Green. Next, I grabbed Sinful Colors' Green Ocean that I bought last year but never used. 

Sinful Colors has been coming out with neat glitter polishes and this is one of them. The clear polish that is in it is tinted a light green shade that camouflaged itself into the neon green nicely. Now the glitter... There are little specks of greenish glitter, ones with a slightly bigger diameter, and then the cool part. Pieces that resemble shards of glass. I have a few pieces on each nail that can be seen. Contrary to what I believe about glitter polish, the bottle is mostly clear polish with scatterings of the glitter I want. I had to fish around for the shards and let the polish drip back into the bottle. More glitter, less clear, Sinful Colors. Please and thank you.




 REMEMBER: At least two coats of white polish first. Neon polish after.

Tamz

No comments:

Post a Comment