Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Palm Leaves

Hello all! This weeks mani was inspired by Palm Sunday. For those that don't know what the heck that is, it's a Christian feast that occurs the week before Easter. I started off with three coats of Sinful Color's Snow Me White. I mixed together a gold with paints by using yellow and a burnt gold. The resulting color was not the gold I was expected, but I really loved it; it turned out to be a shimmering golden-mustard in the light. In a classroom setting with those horrid florescent lights, the color was described as a, "nasty mustard color" by one of my dearest friends. I can see where she was coming from! 

I applied the paint by dipping the tip of my pointer finger into the paint and dabbing it onto the areas random spots I wanted the color to be. It took several coats to get the darker gold while the light yellow sections only got one run through. It had a more gradient look to it, but I still had paint leftover that I didn't want to waste..


I put a top coat over that before mixing the green for the palm leaves. The green took on a slight teal tint. I envisioned a dark green, but what I used works better since the lighter green complements the dark shade below it. I began by painting the stems of the leaves with a long striper brush with a thicker end and thinner tip. I had the stems overlap the background splotches in directions that "moved" similarly with the gold. I ended up painting in one side of each stem with leaves first. I was planning on filling in both sides, but I loved the one-sided palm leaves since opposite golden side could still be viewed. Top coat time to finish it off!



(My favorite: the thumb!)
Tamz



No comments:

Post a Comment